BASIC IDEAS TO GET YOU STARTED ON THAT BODY YOU DESERVE
BY Clive Msomi – GROUP FITNESS INSTRUCTOR AT V.A. CLUB
It’s New Year, new resolutions, new beginnings and new dreams right?
Well almost, year in year out most of us make out a list of new resolutions for the year, either to buy a new house, get a new partner and this never gets left out, live a better lifestyle. Somewhere along the way as the year progresses they (resolutions/dreams ) are deposited in some dusty bank where they gather dust, and only are revisited towards the end of the year, by that time dust has set in it is so hard to recognise.
Thanks to UniQ Mag, for giving us this platform where you and I will have a chance to work towards the realisation on one of your resolutions-healthy lifestyle. I also remain hoping that I will give you all the tools that you may need to achieve that body you have been dying to show off. I am not going to be able to get the job done unless I get your full co-operation, I will do my part but most of the work will have to be done by you.
Let us be honest everyone would like to have that lovely body and somewhere ,somehow ,we have tried to get into the fitness mode, you start jogging or you join a gym or you tell yourself you are going on a diet ,but somehow all of this gets lost in the process . There is a combination of reasons to this effect. Throughout my experience of working in the fitness industry I have seen how people tend to give up on exercise and so their health and their lifestyle take a back a seat. And there are a number of reasons and the ones that you and I know very well are:
- Gym membership being too expensive
- No time (this I like a lot)
- It’s hard
- My body is sore
- I have to do this and that.
And it goes on and on and on, and sooner than you know the year comes to the end .And as you go to look at yourself in the mirror you realise the dream body you were determined to have has added an extra dimension and pound in other parts of your body.
It is in this column where I will share a number of ways that will assist you the reader with continuous information to help you stay on track with your exercise .But in order for you to stay in that course of achieving your goal/resolution, I also have to implant that other benefits that you will have after starting this road to achieving that body to die for also include:
- Boosting your confidence
- Taking away a few kilos will also make you look younger
- Being able to do all other things that you could not do before
- Increasing the strength of your heart , lungs and muscles and keeping them healthy
- Improving your posture with toned muscles
- Make informed decision with regard to what you eat and knowing what is good for your body .
- Boost your mood and feelings of wellbeing and ward off depression.
I am certain that you are now feeling excited and ready to start again and you are now even seeing yourself fitting perfectly in that dress you stored away because it was so tight you felt somebody was sucking life out of you as you couldn’t breathe .Can I just bust that bubble for a second, but please don’t take that picture of you and that new body out of your mind yet . Reason I am busting your bubble is that I have to re-emphasise, if you have heard it before let me repeat it again for your pleasure and you may have taught they were telling lies. Here it goes and I will go slowly here, you may just also read slowly too. In order for that body to be a reality there has to be some form of movement going on. Never will you achieve it by sitting in front of your telly (television) all day long without engaging in some form of movement or exercise as we know it. There are basic movements that you can do at home without going to the gym and you can also incorporate them into your own workout and you can do this in 20- 30 minutes, these are:
- Jumping jacks
- Mountain climbers
These are very basic movement and we will also get a chance to further discuss what muscles are being used and benefits thereof. I do hope you are still with as we come the other part that is so important ,which is all that goes down that digestive system of yours .Yes you heard me right I am talking about your food or nutrition as we normally speak . What you eat is very important in the process of achieving that body. Infect a large percentage of your body to transform in that manner you want it to depends greatly on the food that you take .So the combination of the two is very important as such I will emphasise that to start off with is that you take note of the following :
- Have your breakfast before you step out that door. It is the most important meal of the day so as to sustain you throughout until your next meal. Ideally oats is recommended.
- Have 6 small meals per day. It has been preached over and over for a very long time.
- Drink water, and I really mean water not fizzy drinks .6 to 8 litres of water is ideal to flush out all toxics.
- It’s time to eat more vegetables with your meals. And also to eat fruits. Fruits and vegetables will make sure that you get all the vitamins and minerals that your body need. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables is thought to help guard against carcinogens (substances that cause cancer) arthritis and many other illnesses including heart disease.
I hope I have not said a mouthful and as you try to digest all of these let me re-emphasis that most of what I have given you in this column is just the basics to help you to get started but I would also like to tell you to:
- Starts small and remember baby steps matter too.
- Get somebody you trust and do this together it is no fun if you do it alone.
- Change your mind and your body will move to the transformation just as easy too.
So while you decide on how to get all of this done take charge now of your life. And make it fun and exciting, and if you need to ever get in contact with me feel free to get in touch with me on:
Cliboymsomi @gmail .com or twitter @cliboymsomi .
Till next time on our next issue, but always remember UNIQUE IS WHAT YOU ARE!!!